A few years ago, Kylie Jenner posted a Snapchat photo of her ramen with a caption of: "I add Butter, Garlic Powder, and an egg to my ramen noodles."
There was no recipe attached, but the internet went wild. Everyone tried re-making versions of it and supposedly, adding those 3 ingredients to any instant ramen turns out pretty well.
We know nothing about pop culture, and know even less about Kylie Jenner (though we give her major props for becoming a billionaire).
But when we heard about this recipe, we knew we had to do it right and take her ramen to the next level.
So we one-upped her with our ramen upgrade: a keto-friendly garlic clam ramen topped with whipped leek butter and soft-boiled egg.
- 1 pound Manila clams
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 leek stem
- 1 large piece of ginger
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 tbsp of dry sake
- 1 quart of chicken broth
- 2 tbsp of white miso paste
- immi ramen noodles (or whichever noodles you prefer)
- (optional for topping) 1 egg
- (optional for topping) finely chopped nori
- Soak 1 pound of Manila clams in a large bowl of cold water. Pro tip: If you add salt to the water, the clams will purge any remaining sand inside them.
- Smash 4 cloves of garlic and cut the piece of ginger in half.
- Cut off the stem of the leek and cut that stem in half. Dice 1/4 of the remaining leaf part of the leek and set aside to use later.
- Heat 1/2 stick of butter in a large pot and throw in the 4 cloves of crushed garlic, 2 halves of ginger, and 2 halves of leek stem. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Pour in 2 tbsp of dry sake to de-glaze the pot. Drink some too if you're feeling wild.
- Pour in 1 quart of chicken broth and simmer the pot on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take a mixer and put in the other 1/2 stick of butter along with the chopped leek leaves. Mix on high power for 3 minutes until the butter is whipped and airy. Scoop out the butter into a bowl to use later.
- Once the broth has simmered for 10 minutes, add in the clams and cook on high boil for 5 minutes.
- After boiling, take the pot off the stove and drain the broth into another pot.
- Add 2 tbsp of white miso paste into the strained broth and stir until melted and evenly mixed.
- Take out a serving bowl and put in your immi ramen noodles.
- Ladle the miso butter broth onto your noodles. Also put in as many cooked clams as you'd like. We're clam savages so we use them all.
- Add a spoonful of whipped butter onto the noodles. If you love butter, feel free to add more.
- Optionally top with a soft boiled egg and the finely chopped nori seaweed.
- Enjoy your ramen!
Fun Visual Recipe